Thursday, April 29, 2010

Artist Statement

As an illustrator, I explore the relationships between the beautiful and the horrifying, contrasting pleasing images with themes of pain. I make use of symbolism derived from Christian history, punk culture, and metal music. My work resembles paintings of the Art Nouveau movement, if they had replaced their women holding fruit with skeletons holding swords.

In “A Chasing After the Wind” 2010, I illustrate the pointless act of chasing after wealth and worldly achievement. I make obvious the distracting facade of hollow achievement by use of dark imagery and symbols of death. When combined with light color and pleasant composition, the piece achieves a sublime effect. Flowers in a mandorla pattern frame a deathly figure clothed in elegant robes and clutching a kingly sword. On either side majestically protrude the heads of a raven and a vulture, two birds symbolizing death. The flowers, while giving the appearance of peace and joy, are poppies, which symbolize death. The message is that all men reach the same end, and the struggle for earthly gain is meaningless.

I want to illustrate the nature of happiness, and how fulfillment can be found. Biblical texts inspire me by showing me what is truly important in life, and what is merely an effort to gain what is easily lost. These themes help me illustrate my journey through this life. As my conception of what I understand to be fruitful uses of my time and effort matures, so will my illustrations concerning a purposeful existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment