Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dia de los Muertos Postcard



These cards were entered in a competition / exhibition at the Minnesota Center for Book Arts as part of Dia de los Muertos, or for those not "in the know," the Day of the Dead. I wanted to make the holiday more personal, so I inserted the reference John 8:51. This reads, "Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death." This is a big part of my faith and therefore my life, that I am promised true life which accompanies my faith in Christ.
I wanted it to be pretty simple, so I thought, "A skull!" So as not to be too "on the nose" about it, I cropped it right under the eyes. I tried printing a second, gold layer on the silver, but I stopped doing that after about three of them because I didn't like it so much.

Done for my Screen Printing Class with Emily Hoisington.

ps- here are some photos of the installation

No comments:

Post a Comment